Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I had planned to post for YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday, but I could spend hours with today's task: Write a dialogue between two of your favorite YA characters. As I considered it, I couldn't get Eldric from Chime out of my mind. (I envisioned a lively conversation between Eldric and Will from The Infernal Devices that ended in a boxing match and tears.)

But instead of trying to write these characters' voices, which their creators have already perfected, I decided to just review Chime instead.

The summary, adapted from Goodreads:

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out. Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes, and everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.


I have a confusing relationship with this book. Around 100 pages in, I decided that this was one of those books that I respect, because I recognize how well-written and unique it is. It is a wonderful book, and I would recommend it. But I wasn't in love with it. (I'm a love-at-first-sight kind of girl; I usually know in the first thirty pages.)


Chime took me almost a week to finish. And then suddenly, at the end, it tugged on my heartstrings. The reason? Eldric. Eldric is complex but consistent. He's one of the most well-crafted characters I can think of whose story comes through a first person narration by the main character. So, as it turns out, Chime is like an acquaintance I didn't think I'd ever be close to, and we ended up the best of friends.


If you'd like to find out more about Chime, by Franny Billingsley, click here.


4 comments:

  1. Well now I might have to check this out. I agree about being love at first sight lol.

    I do so love your review. It was charming, fun, and descriptive in the best of ways. I admit I mostly want to read right now to see who this Eldric. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Eve. Chime is really a great read. Great setting, carefully wound plot, and obviously, I loved Eldric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book review. I was looking for a new read. I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up!
    Tracie
    crackyouwhip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete