Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This week I wanted to talk about the great book that I read, and I have some random thoughts to share.

Last week I read The Red Pyramid, by Rick Riordan. As a former middle school teacher and as a human being, this book is fantastic. A brother and sister discover that they are descendants of two ancient royal Egyptian families. Their ancestry gives them special powers, which they use to save the world. Riordan gives a unique take on the classic good vs. evil, seamlessly weaving Egyptian history and world geography into the complex story. The point of view alternates between the African-American male protagonist and his sister, raised by her Caucasian grandparents in England. It's part science fiction, part family drama, part suspense, with a hint of a love story. I could say I've never read anything like it, but really it's like a mixing pot of different genres, all melded into something new. In case you couldn't tell, I loved it. If I were still teaching, I'd already be angling to get a class set and teach it.

Random observation #1: In the mall parking lot this week I was driving behind a car. I noticed one of those fake bullet hole stickers on the back of the trunk, and I thought, that's weird, because it's just one. Usually people put a row of them, and they're a little more obvious. When I stopped behind the car at a stop sign, I realized it was not a sticker, but an actual bullet hole. Nice.

Random thought #2: I'm not a big fan of Kate Hudson.

Random opinion #3: I've read in several places the assertion that if you like Charlaine Harris's novels, you won't like the show TrueBlood, and if you like the show, you won't like the books. I couldn't disagree more. I thoroughly enjoy both the books and the show. Alan Ball and crew create a perfect balance of the heart and characters of the books, with just enough extra spice to keep you interested, even when you know what's going to happen next.

Random closing thought: The iLuv alarm clock/dual iPod docking station I got my husband for Father's day has really good sound quality. To quote Coldplay, which is playing now,
'Nobody said it was easy,
It's such a shame for us to part.'

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment